What's the likelihood?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dotknott, Nov 6, 2016.

1. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Okay so I've posted before about waiting for eggs from my hatches from the spring, and it wasn't long ago that I started to get one.. one.

So I assume this is coming from one of the older gals... light blue and dark blue hatched within 24 hrs of each other, but only one is laying (unsure of who)

Now, they free range all day.. in starting to wonder if I have an egg hiding duck?

If I have a duck that's hiding eggs, I should know by keeping them in the run for a day, right? Also, I I find that someone is laying elsewhere how do I change the behavior?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Since some ducks especially early in the laying cycle do not lay daily it may take a couple of days until you determine if more than one are laying. You could keep them penned until noon and then watch their behavior when they are released. A duck with a hidden nest will generally rush to it so that she can lay. It may be necessary to confine them until later in the day to get them to lay in the coop. A nest containing nest/fake eggs will also encourage them.

3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Yeah, I've got some ceramic eggs in there now. I hadn't considered that the new layers might actually be alternating days.

This weekend they've been pretty late to go out in the am. As usual they all run to the stream immediately to get their am mating session done.. no one seems to be running anywhere other than the stream, but I'll keep an eye out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by