What's the likely mix for Sunshine?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shezadandy, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Sunshine is definitely a "mutt," so the question is what's the most likely combination? The source of the eggs my broody hatched gave the hens as RIRs, Barred Rocks, sex-link, Golden Laced Wyandottes, and the roosters as Ameraucana and Cream Legbar. They were broody hatched and raised so I didn't have the luxury of knowing which chick came out of which egg.

He was all yellow as a fuzzybutt, then was all white. Now at 13 weeks the white feathers are giving way to some color- well, that or he's rolling in "yellow snow" in August! He is very large- 5.3lbs- literally as big as our 22 week old cockerels, but not filled in yet like them.

Now for the pictures.

Here he is at around 10 days:
    [​IMG]

Sunshine at 10 weeks:
    [​IMG]

Now 13 weeks, there are patches of reddish/brown on the wings and yellow/cream starting to work its way into the body color.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the wing feathers:

[​IMG]

He's got little flecks of black in his tail, much like my SBELs.

[​IMG]

A full body shot next to our 22 week old Welsummer cockerel:

[​IMG]

With his hatchmates, two of which are clearly from the Ameraucana rooster with pea combs, muffs and beards, and one clearly from the CCL (the barred pullet has a crest).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Were the Ameraucanas really Ameraucanas or EEs?

The bearded/muff gene doesn't hide, so if his father was a pure Ameraucana he would be bearded. Now if they were EEs it would be different. Were the sex links red or black?

The mother wasn't a BR, otherwise he would be barred (barred hens pass the barring gene to sons only). I think the father was CL because of the comb.

So, possible mothers are RIR, GLW and some type of sex link. Father CL. Sex links are mixed breed, and if they were Red Sex links are likely mothers. If BSL, then not the mother. I'll wait for further info and see if we can narrow it down more.

EDIT: GLW isn't the mother because rose comb should be dominant. So RIR or sex link.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  3. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I agree most likely CL roo x RSL hen. I've done the CLxRIR and you get pretty red barred birds.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Same thought process here. You can eleminate some of the breeds based on comb, etc. I'm also thinking Legbar x red sex link. That white can throw things off color-wise.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2 donrae

6. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Sorry for the delay - for whatever reason this thread never showed as updated in my email!

Thanks for the input on being able to eliminate what was presented as the "true" Ameraucana for lack of muffs/beard- and being able to eliminate GLW with the comb difference and BR with Sunshine's lack of barring. I think you guys are spot on with the red sex link as the mom - I know there are Red Comets in mix.

That got me clicking around on an image search looking at Red Comets and that brought up a remarkably similar rooster that was labeled as a "Golden Comet"-- link and picture posted below- Sunshine isn't nearly that pretty, but the gold/cream mixed with white and that smattering of black in the tail feathers too matches up pretty darn well. [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/rockin-roosters
    [​IMG]

Thank you all so much!!
    I'll post more pictures as he continues to evolve.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x3

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That rooster you pictured is the male equivalant of your red sex link hens. It's easy to see how the red sex link would be his momma. The red leakage tends to increase as they age, so he will color out more as he matures.

He may also have some "ghost" barring with the Legbar genetics. Sometimes the white completely dominantes the barring, sometimes you look very close and you can see faint grey bars of color on the sex feathers.

9. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Here are the last pictures of Sunshine. He got adopted and gets his own little harem. The day he left he was up to 7.25lbs at 18 weeks old, and his comb was very pebble-y in appearance and feel. The hackle and saddle feathers were a light cream, and there was some more red leakage at the top of the tail along with the black speckles in the tail feathers. We'll miss him but things are much calmer now with only 1 rooster!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    He is showing effects of dominant white. It's the white that replaces black pigments very well but poorly so on red/gold pigments. The only bird you listed with this gene is the red sex link- DW is the reason why they have white tails. DW is very rare maybe nonexistent in EE so I doubt the EE roo could have been the source.

However there is one other thing- he has white legs. Basically this is due to him having white skin, which is dominant over yellow skin. Red sex links are very typically yellow skinned(yellow legs). Legbar is a yellow skinned breed... no chance of this cross producing a white legged chicken.

His bearded/pea combed sisters seem to have blue legs? Blue legs is an indicator of white skin this makes me think the EE roo has white skin.

My guess is if there really no other roosters present and the legbar roo is pure and is not actually an mix that also happens to be white skinned then Sunshine is EE- red sex link cross.

it is not that rare for EE to not be pure for beard or pea comb. It shows up best when crossed to single combs because both pea and beard are dominant, so if you breed not pure pea/beard birds together nearly all of the offspring will show them.. however a note pure pea/beard bred with a single comb will throw half single comb and non-beardeds.

However... if his new flock are all white/tan eggers, no blue or green eggers and some of his daughters out those go on to lay green/blue eggs then the legbar was very likely his father but it would be a serious puzzle where his white skin came from. It does *not* turn up out of yellow skinned parents.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by