What's the line between aggressive bully and pecking order?

Splendid Medley

Chirping
Jan 3, 2018
New England
Hi- All 9 chicks hatched week of May 10th. One of the australorps is a bully and is pulling out the chicks feathers that are growing in and eating them. She's relentless and they all seem a bit scared of her. Is this normal part of establishing pecking order? Maybe she needs something else in her diet?

Feather eating isn't normal. Most likely if she really is eating the feathers then her diet is deficient in protein. Crushed boiled eggs can add protein, as well as crushed mealworms. I also have heard cat food is good for protein, but have never personally used it. What feed are you using? What % protein is it?

Hi- All 9 chicks hatched week of May 10th. One of the australorps is a bully and is pulling out the chicks feathers that are growing in and eating them. She's relentless and they all seem a bit scared of her. Is this normal part of establishing pecking order? Maybe she needs something else in her diet?
What size is your brooder and what is temperature? Is there "clutter" they can play with to keep them occupied? What is their diet? At that age, they should be eating high protien chick (20-22%) starter. No treats. Feather eating is usually due to a lack of protein, but it could also be over crowding, boredom, or incorrect temps. Or you have a jerk, but Australorps are generally pretty mellow.

Thank you. I started some crushed meal worms, and also some to the brooder floor for the meanie to scratch at. They were all getting some additional egg bc I'm supplementing my little one's diet with it still and she likes to have a friend when she is out of the brooder eating, so they rotate, but I brought meanie out for her own egg yesterday. She seems calmer today but it is only 7:45am. I do think boredom is a factor. The brooder is a super large dog tent with a lot of space and heat is appropriate. They are all mostly feathered except the little one so I think they should be outside for the day at this point and are not because of her. She is too stressed away from the others.

Back
Top Bottom