What's the longest a hen will be on strike for...?

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
I moved my previousely free-ranging chickens into their own, huge, brandnew pen, and nobody has layed a single egg since then (it's been since Thanksgiving). They have tons of room to roam, plus I still let them out into the yard whenever I'm home, and they still have their same henhouse to sleep in, with the same nesting boxes from before. We live in Georgia, and it's been fairly cold, but most of the farms around here have eggs, except for us.
What's the longest any of your hens have been on strike for?

maybe you should search your yard top to bottom maybe they are laying in someplace you arnt use to finding them. maybe some olfballs or plastic eggs in the nestboxes will coax them into laying there
fl.gif

also my chicken is 9 months old and hasnt layed a single egg and good luck

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the response (I love this forum, but hardly ever get many responses to my posts...). I've actually looked in all of their usuall "hangouts", but there are definitely NO EGGS ANYWHERE! I've put golfballs into their nesting boxes, too, but they don't seem to care about them, either. My BR hen was the only one laying, before (one egg a day, religiousely), and the other 5 are just now 6 months old, so I really hope that it will happen, soon. Do you only have one hen? (Perhaps that's her problem - she might be lonely and depressed...?)

Is it because its getting dark earlier in the day? Do you have lights on for the hens? They need 14 hours of light a day to keep them laying through the winter.... if thats what you wish.
I have a red light over my waterer and I guess it puts out enough light to keep my pullets laying right through our cold winter. I have 7 pullets and I'm getting 6-7 eggs daily.

Quote:
I've been wrestling with the question of whether or not to add light to their coop/run, in order to get their egg production going. Then I saw a post on this site, where the talk was of "letting the chickens rest through the winter", and letting nature take it's course, and it really made sense to me and felt right (wish I could remember, who wrote it). So, I'll just go without light, and hope for spring to get here reeeeeeaaaaal soon, if that's really the reason for the egg strike.

Back
Top Bottom