What's the longest your new layer has gone between their first eggs?

April0617

Songster
Feb 28, 2020
SE Wisconsin
Just curious 😁 And hoping to make myself feel better. My Australorp laid her first egg 2.5 weeks ago. Nothing since. There's nowhere for her to hide them (they have a couple low growing trees/bushes but they are cleared out enough that I can see all the way around the ground under them), they don't free range. I don't think they are getting eaten, I'm not finding any mess and the faverolles' eggs are in the nesting box and undisturbed. I know they can be sporadic when they are new at this whole thing, I just haven't found anything that gives me any sort of length of time before I'd need to be concerned so I want some real life examples 😊. She seems totally fine, eating, drinking, following us and begging for(demanding) treats.

Just curious 😁 And hoping to make myself feel better. My Australorp laid her first egg 2.5 weeks ago. Nothing since. There's nowhere for her to hide them (they have a couple low growing trees/bushes but they are cleared out enough that I can see all the way around the ground under them), they don't free range. I don't think they are getting eaten, I'm not finding any mess and the faverolles' eggs are in the nesting box and undisturbed. I know they can be sporadic when they are new at this whole thing, I just haven't found anything that gives me any sort of length of time before I'd need to be concerned so I want some real life examples 😊. She seems totally fine, eating, drinking, following us and begging for(demanding) treats.
6 weeks and counting.

Wow! My easter egger went 15 days between egg 1 and egg 2 - drove me crazy. I can't imagine 6 weeks! Probably she's fine as long as she's acting fine otherwise, but she is really making you wait! How old is she?

Mine is spunky too - I felt like she laid the first one and then just 'decided' not to be an egg laying bird! She's laying almost every day now though, so I can hardly complain. At least she's not too old yet! Still plenty of time for her to sort herself out! :p
I asked her this morning if she's just decided it's not for her 🤣 I also show her the other's egg before bringing it in, to remind her what they look like.

I asked her this morning if she's just decided it's not for her 🤣 I also show her the other's egg before bringing it in, to remind her what they look like.
Lol I did the same - I started yelling at her across the yard to "JUST LAY AN EGG". 😆 She was not amused.

Maybe they pop the first one out, and they're like, 'that was uncomfortable, not doing that again!'

Back
Top Bottom