1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's the longest you've had to wait between squat and egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msviolaceous, Sep 15, 2011.

1. msviolaceous

msviolaceous Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    My 20.5 week old white leghorn first squatted for me on 9/4... 11 days ago! Her form is perfect like a statue, distinct, wings held out in a very unnatural way... but still no eggs. She does it every time I so much as wave a hand over her.

What's the longest you have had to wait between first squat and first egg?

2. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    I would say 2-3 weeks until she lays ! At least thats how long mine took . good luck !!!

3. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Mine started squatting about a month before they laid. I'd walk out, they'd squat and I'd pick them up and demand to know where my eggs were.

4. msviolaceous

msviolaceous Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Quote:Oh COME ON!

5. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Well some of the girls never squatted until after they laid, but I swear the squatters were doing it just to mess with me! EE girls can be devious and evil.

The little silkies laid within a week of squatting now that I looked at the calendar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by