Whats The Matter With My Duck? Update: Oh Boy!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LindseyM12, Jun 20, 2010.

1. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have a duck and I dont know what happened to it but its feathers are not growing. When it hatched it had a deformed foot so I'm wondering if its just not the foot thats messed up but the whole bird. I have 2 other ducks and they are are the same age and they are fully feathered out. Here are some pics. (These are all from the some hatch)

As you can see its the white one thats messed up.
    [​IMG]

And here are the other ones that are the same age.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for all the help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  2. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    *bump* [​IMG]

3. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I don't know - how old are they? I know that some individual chickens feather out later than others...

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Does it have mites? It could be a developmental problem.

5. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    slackwater: they are about 9 weeks old. Its feathers have been the same for weeks.
    Wifezilla: I don't know if it has mites or not. I don't know how to tell.

6. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    It kinda looks like a silkie duck to me! [​IMG] I don't know if such a thing is possible though. [​IMG] Sorry I'm not any help!

7. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Is it a different breed of duck? I have two runners that are 3 weeks old and haven't started getting feathers AT ALL. I joke, b/c they've grown like wildfire, but it's the chicks that are the same age that are getting feathers. I wouldn't think mites, since the other two are fine. Does its skin seem irritated? Or is it otherwise fine? DOes water soak through it's 'feathers" or roll off?

8. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    There are silkie ducks but they are fully feathered. This poor little thing is bald and it's got to be genetic. Poor baby. I'd worry about it getting sunburned and overheated in the summer, and getting chilled in the rain/winter. Missing feathers like that would be a serious death sentence for an outdoor duck.

9. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    slackwater: all of them are just mixed breeds. The skin doesn't SEEM irritated but I don't know anything. Oh and water does soak through it doesn't roll off. [​IMG]

10. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Hmmm Never had feathering problems with duck's and I have raised Hundred's.It could be something genetic.If you worrying about sunburn you can actually use a childrens grade sunblock on her.I had a frizzle hen that I had to treat for bareback for 2 summer's .You can get spray form which is easier.For some reason she was totaly bare unlike the other hen's and she wasn't overbred either. dunno that will be up to you and depends on how hard she is to catch and handle.You could try some lice/ mite powder on her I doubt it couldn't hurt.Maybe someone else here knows more about feather loss in ducks.Good luck They are nice looking babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by