What's the most amount of corn and wheat I can supplement with?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChelC, May 18, 2008.

1. ChelC

ChelC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    I'm wondering this because my husband works in the grain industry and he can bring home the floor sweepings. I've been offering a mix of wheat and corn which I make into sort of a mush because it's hard to crack that feed corn. I usually cook it partially to soften it and then put it in the food processor. Sometimes I'll add a little cooked scrambled egg into the mix. They love it. Since it's free food and I have hundreds of pounds in metal garbage cans I'd like to max out on using it, but I don't want to have sick or really fat birds. What's a reasonable amount to offer? What can I add to it to balance it out more?

Thanks,
    Chelsea

2. ChelC

ChelC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    By the way, if you have a grain elevator or mill nearby it wouldn't hurt to call them. They usually throw away whatever ends up on the floor.

3. dani2

dani2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    We feed cracked corn free choice I fill up big feed pans when it is empty I just refill, our chickens are free range so they get a very balanced diet from everything else they eat but atleast during the summer they eat very little of there actual expensive layer feed. I know with mine atleast they really prefer the corn over the wheat/oats/barley type grains. Even if I feed COB once in a while they eat out the big pieces of corn and leave the rest.

4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    If you live in a warm climate it's not good to feed them corn as it raises there body heat. Corn should only be fed in cold winter months.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't know what a good mix is, but often too much corn can make fat hens, and fat hens are more prone to health problems.

6. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Go to your local feed store and tell them that U need a high protein supplement to balance your corn and wheat screenings. It will be in the 40%+ range. They should fix U up, and tell you how much to feed. like a 4 to 1, 3 to 1 or something in that order. [​IMG]

7. ChelC

ChelC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Thank you. I hadn't thought about that. I'll have to ask the feed store.

Also, how warm is warm? I live in Utah so we have a couple months that are hot, several warm and several cold. Should I lay off on the corn all summer, or just July and August when it's scorching?

8. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Corn or corn byproducts are 50% of most rations to start with. No you dont have to lay off the corn, just get the supplement I mentioned in my post, and feed it with the corn wheat screenings in a ratio that the feed store gives U. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by