Whats the oldest egg youve put in an incubator?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by AliciaM, Mar 14, 2011.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    What is the longest time between a goose laying the egg and getting them in the incubator and have them hatch?

A couple of the eggs I got today are 15 days old. Would it be pointless to put them in the incubator? A few others are about 10 days old..

These are free eggs, so im not out any money if I try.. Just wondering if they have a chance..

2. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chirping

Jul 16, 2010
    I haven't hatched with an incubator yet, but I did find a pretty detailed article that mentions pretty impressive (to me) hatch rates on eggs first stored 24 days -- under particular conditions.

If it's not costing you anything except the power -- I'd go for it if it were me?

Here's the article:
    Incubation

3. AliciaM

AliciaM Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    The link didnt work.. But, thanks.. I will try.. you never know.

Never mind.. it worked.. Just took a couple clicks.. thanks.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  4. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chirping

Jul 16, 2010
  5. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chirping

Jul 16, 2010
    Looks like they were getting 85% hatch of 17 day old eggs without the warming. I'd go for it. [​IMG]

6. Sheepy

Sheepy In the Brooder

May 20, 2009
    It should work!

7. AliciaM

AliciaM Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    The oldest egg was dated Feb 28. I put them all in the incubator.. all 18 of them.... LOL.. We shall see.. I hope the majority make it...Im sooo looking forward to baby geese.. Ive got them in a LG still air.. All 18 fit. The temp is holding at 99 and humidity at 57....

When do I start misting them?? At 4 days in, correct???

Whatever hatches, I get half.. that was the deal I made..

Also... what is a good candler?? Can I hand make one??

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  8. AliciaM

AliciaM Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Well, of ALL those eggs.. Ive got 1.. I repeat 1.. that is developing.. Its got a week to go... and its LIVE..

Most of the eggs were clear when I tossed them.. I think 3 started to develop, but then stopped...

So.. cross your fingers that "Gus Gus" goes full term and hatches....Only a week to go..

Ive got 5 more I just added to the incubator.. Replacement for the ones that were seriously damaged in shipping..

When is a good day to check for fertility? Id like to know a good date, so that when I check, if there is nothing, I will toss it out..

9. pete55

pete55 Songster

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    The earliest is day 4 with my Dewlaps but you have to look hard. I would say by day 6 or 7 there are unmistakable signs of embryo development.

I've been charting the progress of Dewlap eggs with candling pics if thats of any help and here's the link below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=472851

Hope that helps [​IMG] Good luck with your egg as your at a similar stage to me with 2 Dewlap eggs.

Pete

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: