What's the Point ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenriot, Jun 24, 2010.

1. chickenriot

chickenriot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Brownsboro, Tx.
    I'm wondering why we should be lowering the temperature in the brooder by 5 degrees each week to get to 75 degrees or so if we're just going to be moving the chicks out to 100 degree weather . I'm thinking that maybe we should just keep the brooder around what the temps will be where they will actually live. Won't going from the 70's to the 90's or 100's be too much of a shock to their little bodies ? [​IMG]

I'm aware of the danger of "pasty butt" from their being too warm in the brooder but what about after they're in the coop and run ?

Anyone who has been through this before please let me know how you handled it. Thanks ![​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

When the outside was hotter then the brooder, I did not reduce the temp during the day but turned the light off at night and set the temp of the room to simulate night tempts after 2 weeks- so far of the 15 that hatched 15 are doing fine, (hatched last month 27-29th) I moved them outside week three. I give them dirt and shallow water to play in they know how to stay cool (dust bath, standing in water, not running around in the hottest part of the day, staying in the shade...)

3. chickenriot

chickenriot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Brownsboro, Tx.
    FireTigeris : Thank you for the great tip ![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by