What's the rarest breed in U.S??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chef, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    I was just curious if anyone could tell me what the absolute rarest breed of chicken in America is and who breeds it?

Thanks,
    Chef

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    ...the one I am planning on developing...[​IMG]

3. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
  4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The ALBC is a good list. Then there are breeds out there which we have never even heard. Not all breesd are recognized or standardizes, which means there are probably thousands out there we've not seen or heard the names of.

5. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Off the top of my head (based on my experience on rare chickens boards, talking to breeders, etc), I'd guess Chanteclers or Barred Hollands. I mean the real thing, not necessarily something the hatcheries are selling. So, Hollands that really lay white eggs (as the breed is known for), for instance, are nearly impossible to find.

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Is it a Java? [​IMG]

7. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    According to ALBC it would be the Barred Holland, but I'm sure there is a breed not well known that is rarer. Also, if there are any unknown breeders of White Hollands they would be rarer than the Barred.

8. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    I don't think there are clear enough records kept of poultry numbers to be able to define the 'rarest' breed.

There are lots and lots of breeds that could benefit from additional breeders though. As the others stated, just take a peek at the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy to get an idea of just some of the breeds that could use attention.

Sometimes even if a breed itself is not rare, an approved color variation within a breed will be rare. I find White Rosecombs very hard to find, and I don't think many people breed Hamburgs in the other colors other than Silver Spangled.

Urban Coyote

9. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    Quote:Case in point I recently found out that there are Ga Cua in the US. (Ga Cua are a Vietnemese game breed [​IMG] I'm not allowed to link to the picture since it's on another poultry forum and that's against the rules but take my word they are absolutely stunning birds) I would be willing to bet that there aren't many in the US and those that are here are almost all closely held probably by the original importers or their descendants [​IMG]

10. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Know how long it took me to find a breeder with standard Barred Plymouth Rocks? Good LORD.

I'm not talking the production rocks...but the Barred Rocks that are built and bred for conforming to the Standard of Perfection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by