WHATS THE RIGHT HUMIDITY FOT COTOURNIX?...please help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jm93030, Jan 29, 2011.

1. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    i am incubating cotournix eggs for 8 days now

im keeping the humidity at 50-60%

last night I found this site that says 40% humidity

now im confused please help

THIS ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS I FOUND ON
    http://whitehousequail.com/?page_id=83

IncubationHow to incubate quail eggs:
    Note: Before you put your eggs into the incubator, please allow them to sit for 12-24 hours to let them settle. Otherwise, your hatch rates will suffer!
    You should also have your incubator set up to the correct degree (99.5* F) and the correct humidity (40%) a day before your eggs are supposed to arrive.
    Unpack eggs VERY carefully! If there are any broken/cracked ones, you can melt wax and repair them, or just pitch them.
    Load eggs into cartons, maybe the ones sent? *hint hint*, or into the auto turner’s egg trays.
    Incubate at 99.5* and 40% RH for 14 days.
    On day 14, take eggs off the turner and put into cartons and elevate RH to 60%. You have just entered ‘LOCKDOWN’. Do not open the incubator, fiddle with the temperature, or breath too hard next to it.
    NOTE! Many people debate the use of cartons when hatching. They DO significantly increase your hatch rate! You can get at least 5-10 more chicks if you do this!
    Wait three days, then they will start to hatch!
    Do not open the incubator until ALL have hatched!
    Do not help them out of the shell! When they die in-shell, it means the chick was not strong enough to live, even if it had gotten out of its shell.
    24 hours/Until all are dry, move them to the brooder!

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It really is a personal preference. I keep mine at about 45% then go to 60%+ for lockdown. You didn't hurt your eggs so don't worry. Happy hatching![​IMG]

3. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Thnk you robo

I was temted to PM you

is it ok if I keep them at 45 for now until the day 15?

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    That's fine, anything between 40 and 55 is good enough. Game birds need a pretty high humidity actually. Good Luck with your hatch![​IMG]

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Yup!

That's pretty much within range!

Please post your pics 9-10 days from now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by