What's the sounds a baby male will start making?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Feb 5, 2009.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Well I have new baby ducks, a snowy mallard and a pekin... The pekin's sex was questionable and i'm trying to figure it out asap. What i need to know it, after peeping, what's the transition for boys?

I know in girls they go through a voice change where amongst the peeps you start to here little deeper pitched sounds that almost sounds like the beginnings of quacks.

But what do boys go through? Do they also get this same quack sounding tone or do they just loose their voice? I've acxtually never heard a male duck before since i've ony had females. Does it trantisition from pepp to rasp? If anyone could enlighten me that'd be great... MY duckling are 2 1/2 weeks old and i'm listening to them.....

2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Males go from peeping, to peeping! LOL. Its barely audible and sounds like a croaky hiss.

3. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    hmmm, well my little poekin almost made a deep quack like sound... perhaps it is a girl after all? If so i woud be sooooo happy!

4. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    so i'm wondering if it's a croaky sound or a quacky sound! lol. I'm assuming the noise a baby male will start making is kind of whispery sounding?

Can anyone compare their female vs. male sounds for me right when they stop peeping?

5. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Its not really croaky. Its very, very quiet and sounds like they have lost their voice from a cold or something. If the duck is loud to where you can hear them in the next room, its probably not a male. They don't ever make a "quack." Its kind of like they are whispering Meh-Meh-Meh.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Or think of Donald Duck, but without the words. That's about the sound drakes make. But I agree with smartie pants, the males go from peeping to peeping! It took mine a long time before I could tell which were males (they all were [​IMG]). My pekin girl started quacking at 2 weeks old. They are now 7 weeks and the male is still peeping. I'm hoping this doesn't hold true for cayugas and rouens, or I have a brooder full of 7 male ducklings!

7. marcelineduckie

marcelineduckie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2015
    California
    What did the pekin turn out to be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by