1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's the sweetest thing you've ever seen a chicken do?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TwinsLoveChicks, Mar 27, 2016.

1. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    This is a thread for all your sweetest chickens! Ones who have seemingly fallen in love[​IMG], ones who have sat with another sick one[​IMG], etc. I can't wait to hear about them! Feel free to post pictures and/or videos as well![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    The sweetest moment I ever experienced with a chicken was with my hen, Poachy. She was deathly ill after being attacked by the flock that she grew up with. I nursed her back to health and we established an unbreakable bond. She was no longer accepted by the flock, and she looked to me as her alpha. We were best friends.

I would sit with her and preen her feathers using my finger, mimicking the same gesture that a chicken would do to its flock mate. While sitting on my lap embracing this lovely preening session, my cute black hen began preening me!

This became a daily ritual for the two of us.

1 person likes this.
  3. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    That's so sweet![​IMG]

4. sphinxface

sphinxface Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    I just got baby chicks for the first time and I'm hoping to have some sweet moments in the future so far I've had the babies fall asleep in my hand, and one has crawl up my arm to perch on my shoulder. Shes gonna be a lap chicken for sure ;)

5. Jess72180

Jess72180 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Ulster Park, NY
    We are very new to chicks, just got ten day old mix of a dozen hens yesterday, but so far my Queen Claire has fallen asleep while I pet her. Between my boys, husband and niece there was only one left for me to call mine. Thankfully she and I seem to be a perfect match.

6. sphinxface

sphinxface Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    I havent been able to pet them much till they start nodding off, and even then only so much. The only one who lets me pet her while wide awake is the welsummer and she watches me do it for a while before shrugging me off by grooming. ;D such sillies!

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    [​IMG]
    These two did everything together, including laying in the same box, at the same time.

3 people like this.
  8. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    Cute![​IMG] Anyone else?

9. Jess72180

Jess72180 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Ulster Park, NY
    [​IMG]
    This is my niece holding Oreo for the first time. [​IMG]
    Here's my snuggly girl Claire.

10. Sam Drummond

Sam Drummond Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    I put some chicks out in the adult pen on a especially cold night. At night when I went to lock up the hens one of the hens had come down from where she usually roosted and was snuggled up with the chicks in the corner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by