1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's the turnaround on egg quality

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hensandchickscolorado, Oct 29, 2011.

1. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    Meaning, if I up a hen's protein or calcium, how many days does it take to see a difference?

For example, if I have eggshells that seem soft, and I add oyster shells, how many days might it take to see harder shells? Or if I feed some extra veggies or protein, when might that be reflected in the quality of the egg?

I don't have any problems right now and I know it might not be so scientific, but I'm just wondering about those who may have made some observations.

Thanks!

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I was wondering the same thing.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

It really depends on the general health and response of each bird that is laying. Some may have better nutrient absorption and be better able to utilize these nutrients than will others.

I've seen a pretty quick response to added calcium and protein but could not attribute the response merely to the added nutrients vs. just coincidence as a flock is always and ever in a state of flux.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I don't fully know about diet changes, but I surely know that weather changes take just 24 hours in response, so I'd assume diet is the same, considering the growth cycle of an egg. However it is true, it may differ in flocks depending on their health and metabolism.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by