What's the weirdest thing you've ever fed yor chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Starring_Emma, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Starring_Emma

Starring_Emma New Egg

Mar 29, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Today I knocked over an old stack of fire wood and there were a bunch of fat white grub worms living in the wood. I put them in an old coffee can and tossed the to the chickens. The chicken went nuts for them! This past summer I was outside eating watermelon and I was spitting the seeds at the chicken and they were running around eating them. I've also fed the chickens cucumber and potato peels.

2. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Mine eat everything. They love KFC covered in gravy [​IMG]

3. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    Our chickens eat about everything vegetable, fruit or meat. Had a question about the last post feeding them potato peels. Most of my chicken books say not to feed chicken peels - why is this? Also my disposabal says not to put down potato peelings. What gives? Anyone have any idea. Dould it be something in the toxin that is contained in green potato peels?

4. Svarthona

Svarthona Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Elk aspic [​IMG] I not exactly fed it to the chickens though. They somehow managed to open the pot, when the aspic should cool down and harden, outside on the porch... I have no idea how they could manage that [​IMG] it´s been a cast iron pot with heavy lid. You live you learn I guess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by