whats the white stuff in the egg?

Billy7871

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
I was always told the white stuff was the roo's sperm but I saw the pics of the fetile egg and there was no white stuff. You can see it in this pic what I am talking about.

34287_0714091022.jpg

Made me go look for it. Good question. I didn't know what it was.

Chalazae (kuh-LAY-zee) - Ropey strands of egg white which anchor the yolk in place in the center of the thick white. There are two chalazae anchoring each yolk, on opposite ends of the egg. They are neither imperfections nor beginning embryos. The more prominent the chalazae, the fresher the egg. Chalazae does not interfere with the cooking or beating of the white and need not be removed, although some cooks like to strain them from stirred custard.
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/Chalazae.htm

Yep! Good research. I thought I was all special when I saw the posted question and said to myself - Hey, I KNOW what that is!! I just recently learned this from a PBS documentary about the egg, aimed at school-age kids. Being obsessed with chickens, I was totally thrilled to have gotten a promo of the video to review for my students. If you can get a hold of it, it's worth a watch, with one huge caveat. I expected more of PBS than a total, complete, unabashed defense of factory farms. Bleagh.
- sorry, this changed tact... should be in rant section?
tongue.png

The white stuff is CHALAZA. Ropey strands of egg white which anchor the yolk in place in the center of the thick white. They are neither imperfections nor beginning embryos.

The more prominent the chalazae, the fresher the egg. Chalazae does not interfere with the cooking or beating of the white and need not be removed, although some cooks like to strain them.

Last edited:
I see you're new. Welcome to BYC, where everyone is here to help everyone, & teach each other chicken knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom