Whats the youngest age for eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jgeer, May 30, 2016.

1. jgeer

jgeer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    Ohio
    [​IMG]
    I have 12 laying hens and 7 pullets, today i found a tiny egg along with the usual ones I get, the hens are well past the pullet egg stage and my young pullets are just going into week 14, is it possible to get and egg from the pullets? I put it next to the smallest two from today. Its only 1/3 the size of my first egg from my laying group when they started out, any help would be great!

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    I think that hens have to be at least 21 weeks to start laying, so maybe it's a fairy egg?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    14 weeks is a bit young.....unless it's a sexlink/high production bird, then it's possible-but not probable.
    Hens can lay an undersized egg on occasion....you may never know unless you find more of the littler ones in the next week.

4. jgeer

jgeer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    Ohio
    Well 4 of my pullets are isa browns and the others are barred rocks

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure that's a fart/fairy/wind egg from one of your established layers. It's a glitch any hen can toss off once in a while. Basically, she forgets to add the yolk. Then, the same amount of pigment is applied to the smaller egg, giving it a darker color.

The youngest I've had was a very memorable 16 week old red sex link. But 18 weeks is usually the early end of the spectrum.

6. jgeer

jgeer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    Ohio
    Thanks for the help, ive never heard of a fairy egg and looked it up and that seams to be the right thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by