What's the youngest chick you've had crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suzpyoung, May 28, 2010.

1. suzpyoung

suzpyoung Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    Since I am absolutely blown away by this one starting at 18 days old (THOUGHT I heard it yesterday - now I know I did), and today he was singing his little heart out on the perch. For fun, I'd like to know about other folks' crowing babies, at how old and what breed? This one is a bantam cochin / standard Ameraucana cross.

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Had one crow at five days old and a couple more by seven days.

3. suzpyoung

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:WOW! What breed? I bet the sound was hysterical. I heard bantams can be the ones that start the earliest - is that true?

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I had one at 2 days, was a banty cochin if I remember correctly. I had the brroder near my dining room and everytime he did it we would all start cracking up cuz it sounded so cute. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The five day old crower was an Ameraucana. The seven day ones were a Lt Brahma, a BBS Orpington and can't recall the other one. With the first one, I couldn't figure out what it was doing at first. It would set a stance, raise its head and trill--sounded like "buh-REEEEET!". Yes, they all turned out to be cockerels.

6. suzpyoung

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:Looks like this one is the winner, unless somebody comes up with a video of one crowing while it's hatching. Thanks for the fun stories, everyone.

7. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

My young roo is a BA/OEG mix, approx 5 weeks old he started making loud calls to his nest- mates(2 pullets,I hope!) His call isn't really a crowing, just LOUD![​IMG]

8. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    My five/six week old BA tried crowing yesterday and failed miserably.

9. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I had a 7/8 week BCM/Welsummer X try it yesterday. It was pretty pathetic though.

10. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Awe [​IMG] I love baby roosters [​IMG] The 2 from my 1st batch both started right about 7 weeks and it was sooooo funny. I would love to see these tiny ones in the act.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by