1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whats the youngest rooster you've had to breed?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LTygress, Jan 22, 2014.

1. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Just over two weeks ago, I moved a bantam hen out of the main pen she shared with large fowl, to prepare her for bonding and breeding with a young frizzle. The frizzle is only about 3 months old.

Prior to being moved, the bantam was somehow being bred by my large fowl roosters - and getting fertile eggs from them! I actually have a perfectly-marked phoenix chick right now that kinda surprised me...

Well it has been over two weeks now, almost 3. I have still been putting her eggs in the incubator, expecting them to go infertile any day now. But I just candled one from three days ago, and there is a clear dot with spidering blood vessels!

Granted, there is a chance it could be from the larger chickens. But COULD it be from the little 3-month old Frizzle?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    yup ! could be. sperm stays active for about two weeks after you remove the rooster but no longer and i just took some babies out of my brooder that were about 2 1/2- 3 months and guess what they are doing. geez !! its like our children, younger and younger

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by