What's the youngest your rooster has crowed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AllCoop'dUp, Jul 15, 2010.

1. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Songster

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    I am stunned that my 5 week old chick is crowing!! No mistaking it and the little bugger is loud! He's a Blue Andalusian and has been very roosterish since I got him, but I didn't expect this!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Gotcha beat. My welsummer rooster, Moose, started crowing at 4 DAYS old.

3. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    5 weeks?!?! Wow! [​IMG] I hope my silkies don't crow that early... Sorry I can't give you an answer. This is my first batch of chicks. [​IMG]
    What is the normal? Four DAYS?!?! Really?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  4. Downshifting

Downshifting In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    5 1/2 weeks...he started waking up the sun this past Saturday morning...UGH! Although his voice hasn't changed yet, so it still sounds a bit odd.

[​IMG]

5. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Is It possible for a three day old chick to crow? Don't be mean, but I think ours might have. I have a movie, he throws his little head back and lets out this horrid little scream, he would start off every now and then. Now he Is all grown up, we have had 2 other chicks do this before him to, they were both roosters. It's cute, even If It's not a crow. They were all phoenix mutts, I have lots of experience with chickens so I know what I heard I'm just not sure what It was. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's possible. With mine, he'd stand all stiff, stretch his neck out, strain really hard and this little turkey gobble sound would come out.

7. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Mine did that to! He got all stick chicken like threw back his little head and squeaked! When I say he threw back his head, I mean about an inch. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  8. silkieroo

silkieroo Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Mine crowed at a week. Although I wouldn't describe it as crowing it was more like the sound you would get if you strangled a trombone player! [​IMG]

9. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    I think I have one that crowed (just yesterday, twice) at 8 days old, a Mille Fleur D'Uccle. He and one of my polish ran at each other, wings outstretched, and chest bumped, and then the D'Uccle stretched his neck as tall as he could and let out this crow like a rooster, only in a teeny tiny chick voice. He seemed surprised and pleased, rooted to the spot, and a moment later, did it again. Well, he wasn't as shocked as me!

10. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Songster

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I think my (almost) 11 week old BR roo is going to be the strong silent type. No crow yet and he rarely make a sound. BUT, the ladies know who is in charge in the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by