What's this beautiful duckling ?

Pics

Metz

Songster
Aug 25, 2018
Definitely Mallard mum and pretty sure Mallard dad, two ducklings have usual female colours but anyone got any ideas about these two ?
They are both pretty but one is stunning.
IMG_0173.jpg
IMG_0170.jpg

The top one looks like a snowy drake, which is definitely possible from two mallard parents as long as both are carrying the harlequin gene :)

The bottom one is harder to say and I'd need more pictures. It looks like it has a throat ring, which would point to some kind of mallard-based color, but then it doesn't seem to have the mallard patterning in the rest of the feathers, so it's hard to say.

The top one looks like a snowy drake, which is definitely possible from two mallard parents as long as both are carrying the harlequin gene :)

The bottom one is harder to say and I'd need more pictures. It looks like it has a throat ring, which would point to some kind of mallard-based color, but then it doesn't seem to have the mallard patterning in the rest of the feathers, so it's hard to say.
Showing my ignorance here but I'm fairly new to ducks, what's the harlequin gene ? If it is a snowy drake, is it likely to be fertile and if so, what will it produce ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom