1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's this my rooster doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SillyChick, Mar 6, 2008.

1. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Hello

I went to the backyard this morning to let the chickens out for free-range time. While I was watching over them, my young RIR roo came near me, then walking around me in circles, while dragging his wings low on his sides. What's he doing? He only does that when he is about to sit down, but now he's doing it the whole morning. It's like he's showing off. What do you think? Is he trying to impress my young RIR hen Laura, or is trying to tell me something?

Thanks in advance!

2. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    Yes, he is trying to impress you. He's courting you! LOL

3. SillyChick

Dec 15, 2007
    OMG! I better run! [​IMG]

Thanks for the reply. But I was curious; why do you think he's trying to impress me? I don't give him special attention or such. Just give feed and water, stir up the coop bedding, give him a little pat every once in a while.... I think he hates me! When free-range time is over and it's time to go back in the coop, I chase him so bad that I sometimes hurt him. Not trying to be rude! But......do you think there's another cause? [​IMG] Thanks again!

4. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    :lol:He's treating you like a hen. Your little boy is growing up! It's time to have that "special talk" with him.

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    He is including you in HIS flock. When mine did that I went after him and went around him...I am sure it was a sight to behold...and acted like I was claiming him. He doesn't do that anymore. I sure didn't want to be spurred...or worse [​IMG] from him. [​IMG]

6. SillyChick

Dec 15, 2007
    OMG! I don't want to be a chicken and live in the coop! [​IMG]

It's very happy to hear. They just grow so fast! [​IMG] He's 5 months old. I'll give him a treat. Can't wait to see him mate with my hens. Thank you very much for all the replies! Quite scary though.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Ohhh the rooster dance! He is courting you.

8. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Spring is coming and all young mens imaginations turns to flights of fancy,,,,and you are his fancy......[​IMG]

Run for the hills, run for the hills,,,,

9. SillyChick

Dec 15, 2007
    He is courting me? OMG! Is there a way to stop him?

10. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    get a baggy shirt and hold it out like a wing on one side, and show that YOU are the top rooster in the flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by