whats this noise

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tasha82, Aug 18, 2011.

1. tasha82

tasha82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    hiya,today my female copper maran was making a very strange noise for about half an hour,shes about 18weeks,we also have another one who is a male,got the huge tail feathers etc,mrs baggins does not look anything like a boy,she follows our male everywhere.but what is this noise,a mating call??

2. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Your privacy settings make it so we can't see the video (try youtube maybe, so you don't have to change your FB settings).

My guess though, is that you're hearing an egg song! Based on her age, she's getting ready to lay. If it is that, she's going to make that same song every time she lays. Some of mine do it before, some do it after, some do it before and after laying. It depends on the girl. My rooster will also sing it back to his ladies to congratulate them, so don't write it off as an egg song even if they all do it!

3. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:hiya,ive got 2 older hens that are laying(one the same age still isnt laying yet tho?????)baggins sounded nothing like them,it was so wierd,all the chickens were stood staring at her,was just wierd,ive unlocked the video so you should be able to see it now,x

4. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Sneezing maybe?

5. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:she was doing it for a good half hour ,it was more constyant at first then gradually slowed down,thats why i thought oh no shes crowing its a bioy.xx

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    She's getting an early start on nagging the hubby [​IMG]

Don't be upset at me for that joke, I'm a woman! hehe

7. Emily1220

Emily1220 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Florida
    Just seemed like chicken talk to me. And a minimal amount compared to the noise my girls make!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by