What's this? (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SnazzyJazzy, Oct 26, 2015.

1. SnazzyJazzy

SnazzyJazzy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Day 14 candle of 9 buff orp eggs showed 9 perfect, on target babies. Moving and happy. Today is day 18, 8 look perfect, but one looks like it has a circle of nothing and it's crowded on one side of the shell. It's alive and moving. I am pretty sure one of these had two yolks, but as development continued, the "second" yolk disappeared, I assumed I was seeing things any idea of what this is and how much hope I should hold for this baby hatching?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    ?

3. SnazzyJazzy

Sep 14, 2015
    This is the same egg, I took a picture of the baby (dark side) and the weird circle on the other side. All my other eggs are dark except the air cell.

4. SnazzyJazzy

Sep 14, 2015
    Anyone?

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Your assessment could be right. A single living twin. Chances of it hatching successfully are almost non existent. B/C of all the fluid from the other side of the egg. You could put it upright in a carton, and hope for the best at hatch time, but... I doubt it will survive.

6. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Wow, I've never seen anything like that. Does it look like a circle of veins?

7. SnazzyJazzy

Sep 14, 2015

It has a blank circle, like it would be a "clear", but surrounding that is veins, yes, in a circular pattern which ultimately branch off and look normal the rest of the egg. At day 14, all 9 looked the exact same, growing baby filling the egg. Then this...I am baffled.

8. Saris

Saris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    I wonder if you could make a hole in the "clear" side to drain the fluid so it doesn't drown when it pips?

9. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    I am not sure that I would crack the egg. BUT I do like the idea of trying to hatch in an upright position in a carton. I would keep a real close eye on it. You may need to think about assisting in the hatch. Keep us updated. I would like to know how this turns out.

10. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    X2 with everything said, not sure what's going on but give it a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by