What's this screeching noise my girl makes when she lays?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moochie, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    So one of my girls is sitting in the nest box and I wanted to take a picture of her. As I got closer with the camera she made this screeching noise, like nails on a chalkboard, and her neck feathers were all poofed up. I thought she was gonna peck me but when I patted her head she stopped making the noise.
    What is it called and what does it mean?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sounds like she is camera shy

3. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:well the other hens have done the noise before. ive just been always curious to what it means...
    usually when i pet them when theyre laying or when another hen bothers them while theyre laying. idk does it mean "go away" or something?

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    One of my girls does this, but I liken the sound to R2D2. She sounds almost electronic. She is a very private layer, and refuses to lay with either me or another hen in the coop. As soon as I'm out of her sight she stops (I sometimes spy on them through the coop windows). I think the noise simply indicates they'd rather be alone.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    "Go away, do you understand this hurts!!"

6. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Some of my hens do this too, and I've always taken it as "it hurts, it hurts"!

7. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

She is Broody... they will do this if they don't want you to take the eggs because they want to sit on them...

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's a "I'm big and bad, go AWAY!!!"

I find they are usually silent at egg laying, but will scream and cackle as they leave the nest. Idea is to draw attention to her so her nest is safe.

9. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Is she sitting on eggs? My hens do that when they are broody.

10. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    It could be either. You make a good case for her wanting to lay in private, as you have spent some time observing her, but my first thought was broody. Does she leave the nest readily? If she is broody, she won't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by