1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Suzierd, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I saw this in my run this morning, looks like someone just poured some honey on the ground? Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a broken and consumed egg. =)

3. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Ok, I was wondering if that could be a egg. I just thought I would see sme white and yolk not just thick yellow. Thank you. :)

4. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    I saw something similar in my run a few weeks ago. I started collecting my eggs earlier and adding oyster shells to their feed for calcium. They haven't been eating their eggs since.

5. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I just got three new hens and their in a separate quarentine area, just temporary and sleeping in a plastic dog crate with hay for comfort. Who ever laid the egg must not of wanted to lay it in the crate and just laid it on the ground. Wish I had a incubator I would gather them and see if I could hatch any. :) The lady I got them from has some very nice birds. I will be sure to put some oyster shell in their run today. Thanks

6. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I forgot to mention I didn't see any egg shell, I guess they could have ate it.

7. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    They probably wanted that calcium in the shell and ate it all.

8. skullgrrrl

skullgrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sometimes the shell is soft & leathery so its not always easy to spot, or she ate it.

9. HeidiKinnamon

HeidiKinnamon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    UTAH
    I started having a problem with my birds eating eggs about 3 days ago. I caught my Matilda eating a huge chunk of egg shell and yolk this morning and I scolded her and tried to take it away but she ran away from me then looked at me like "na na na na na na na. hahahah" I don't know how to get her to stop. I hand feed my girls calcium everymorning and know they are getting enough. how do I break the habit?

10. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon

In the past I had a egg eater and I would just check for eggs more often and beat her to them and it worked once I broke the habit she quite eating them. Maybe some extra protien will help since they have enough calcium, some yummy meal worms. :)
    It never fails to get a comment from the cashier when buying meal worms. One lady didn't even want to touch the bag she had to force herself lol. They usually say " what do you do with those things".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by