What's too cold for Bantam's?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by StephensonC, Nov 13, 2014.

1. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    This will be my first winter with Bantams and was wondering if I need to do anything extra to help keep them warm. They are separate from my standard breeds, in their own coop. It's supposed to get down in the 20's at night the next few days, and I'm wondering if I should bring them inside the house at night. Their coop is actually a shelter that's attached to one of my barns, but is covered on 3 sides and the top. I have put up some plastic on the open side to cut down on drafts. It is well ventilated and I keep it clean from droppings. I have kept standard size chickens in there before during winter and they seemed to do fine.

2. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    I have bantams and they don't seem to be different to my standard breeds and I think you will be fine but wait for someone more experienced to respond.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Treat them just as you would your standards (which it sounds like you're doing). They're no different, just smaller ;)

4. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Temperatures are going to be in the teens tonight. Will they still be OK?

5. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    i should think so do you mean Celsius or farenheight? Do you have four sides on your coop now?

6. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Farenheight. Sorry
    I ended up bringing them inside for the night. They settled in very nicely. It's crazy, I keep checking on them like I did my kids when they were little...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by