What's up with his eye?!?!

GreenGoddess

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 6, 2009
St Pauls, NC
Ok... This is Snowball... He is 9 months old and 9lbs! He's always been healthy and I have him in with three of my girls... I have 17 chickens total (14 hens/pullets and 3 roos) and have never had any illness other than a vitamin deficiency which was taken care of with extra poly-vy-sol and lots of pampering for 2 weeks and one hen who got mud stuck in her nares and her eye started to bubble.. I cleaned the mud out and she's been fine since! This is one of the chicks that I hatched out myself and have never noticed his eye until today... Did i maybe miss something? Could it have always been like this? My first thought was Mareck's but NONE of the others are showing or have ever shown signs of this.... He does try to fight with my other roo through the fence (as you can see from the tips of his comb).. Could it be an injury of some sort? But then again, wouldn't he have shown other signs of injury?? This is one of my babies and it's killing me!! Other than the fact that his eye looks funny, he's extremely healthy and active... I have his babies getting ready to hatch in 2 weeks!

I have never gotten older birds and Chicks that I have gotten came only from a hatchery or my own hatches and were not introduced to the main flock until they were about 8 weeks old or so...

Click on the pic for a larger image.... Sorry, he don't like his pic taken and kept moving his head.. This was the best I could do...

This is the normal eye

This is the wierd eye

Here is a side by side comparison of just the eyes...

33603_2011-01-16_163132_fayetteville_north_carolina_us_a.jpg
33603_2011-01-16_163010_b.jpg

Goddess
jumpy.gif

He might have got pecked in the eye. One of the kids here got poked in the eye with a pencil at school and a few days later that pupil was all oval like and distorted, he didn't even notice, it was normal again with in the month. Same for one of our cats that got hit by a car. We thought she was going to lose the eye, but it healed up quite nicely, it doesn't work as well as the other one but she has vision in it.

That would make sense.. If he got pecked, there wouldn't necessarily be any other obvious injury and would explain why I've never noticed t before.. I guess I will just keep watching him closely.... Thanks for the reply...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Quote:
But I don't understand how he could have... I hatched him out myself in April.. I've never introduced any other birds to my flock and none of my other birds have Marek's.. Unless he's sneaking another hen in the coop at night that I don't know about...
lau.gif

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom