What's up with my cat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mother o' chicks72, Oct 30, 2011.

1. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    So my cat's been doing this weird thing for a while now, when he drinks water he kind of does this shuffly kicky thing with his back legs. It started when we got him nuetered, when we brought him home he was still all wobbly from getting drugged and we gave him some water and he did his weird little kicky thing for the first time, I assumed it was just 'cause he was drunk but now it's more than a year later and he still does it almost every time he drinks his water, other than that he is fine mentally and physically. It just is weird, that's all.

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I would call you the vet that nuetered him, and ask him.
    it could be somthing to worry about. [​IMG]

3. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    really? it's been over a year, what do you think it could be?

4. sj3364

sj3364 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Is it like stomping with his back legs? This is a fighting move. He might have gotten into this habit when he was fixed if his nether regions were still sore and when he got up to drink it bugged him and he kicked like he would if something were biting at him back there. Now it's just a habit, maybe?

We have a cat who does this when we tickle her droopy belly. Sometimes she spits, too. She is just playing because she comes back for more. We find it quite hilarious!

5. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't think it has anything to do with being neutered it's just a Coincidence that it showed up then. I have had cats that would do that while they were at the

waterer drinking they would dig with their front feet or move their back feet, it looks very odd I know, but I don't think it is anything to worry about.

I think the cats are thinking back to their wild days, when they used to have to clear the leaves or whatever from the water before they

could drink!

6. georgeandmildredgoose

georgeandmildredgoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Gloucestershire UK
    i've had cats all my life, this is nothing to worry about and nothing to do with neutering, just a funny endearing little habit [​IMG] a friends cat always dunks her feet in the bowl first, it looks like she is testing the water is not frozen or something odd like that. your cat sounds sweet.

7. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't worry. I agree with the above poster. My cat, Bob, does odd things all the time. He sits up like a dig begging. That started when I had his front claws removed. He lays down to eat out of the dog bowl and spends hours every day watching water slowly drip out of the bathtub faucet. And he lives for bags or anything else he can fit his big self into! Cats are funny!
    Here is Bob trying to catch a ride to a flea market with me!
    [​IMG]

8. georgeandmildredgoose

georgeandmildredgoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Gloucestershire UK
    Quote:wicked picture, my cat does the bag hiding thing too, the amount of times he has given me a near heart attack as he leaps out just as i walk past. he also hides on the chair under the table and bangs the table cloth as i walk past, he has got a real sense of humour [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by