What's up with my chicken's butts?!?

Lov'emSouthernEggs

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
East Carolina
This has been a long and on going process. Can anyone tell me what this butt problem is? Please look at my "What's up with butts" page and see if anything looks familiar.
hit.gif

For more information please read "2 hens with matted rears" I haven't checked on them this morning...but my husband did and things seemed fine.

Just wondering if there is something we should do or to let it be. Can chickens get yeast infections?
hu.gif

Help would be greatly appreciated!
barnie.gif

I bought a hen last august that has a constant crusty behind, it is whitish and doesn't cover her vent. I was told that they can get yeast infections and I treated and it helped for awhile but it just came back. I mostly just leave it now and she doesn't seem to mind. I do know her previous owner used antibiotics every month as a precaution and wonder if that is why. Treatment was not fun, first asking a male pharmacist for the best product, the look on his face when I told him it was for a chicken and that why it had to be ointment. Also I used a q-tip to apply the first time and she hates them and attacked it and ate the ointment with no ill effects. I hope you get some answers, maybe it will help mine.

Whoa! Thse girls look awful. I'm sorry you're having this problem.

If I were just looking at the pics of bloody bottoms, I'd think they were picking each other. However, the one darker pic clearly shows the thick white on the vent area, which suggests to me a candida (yeast) infection. Some may call this vent gleet.

Treatment is Nystatin, a liquid drug administered orally, for 5 - 7 days or until symptoms clear. You will probably have to call a vet or a pediatrician to get this; it's the same antifungal used on toddlers. It will come with a medicine dropper, and will often be fruit flavored (for kids). If you don't want to wrestle with your chicken about getting it down the throat, you might mix the meds in with some softened mushy feed or other treat they like. Just be sure each hen gets the appropriate dose twice a day. Putting the mix into small cups and separating the birds until they finish may be what you have to do.

If you don't have a vet nearby to make a positive diagnosis, you might start a course of Nystatin anyway if you can get it. My vet has left me with some in case it comes up, and he has said it will not harm them if you're wrong. Just make sure symptoms start clearing, so you can get more help if needed.

Hope that helps. Here's a link with some basic info on candida:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/27/candidiasis-moniliasis-thrush

Please let us know how it goes. Good luck!

[Ed to add - also may want to watch them carefully to make SURE you don't have any pickers in your group, especially with those Leghorns.]

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I am familiar with Nystatin. It is used for Thrush with babies and breastfeeding moms. Not sure how I can get some but I may be able to get some over the counter meds that are used to treat the same thing that are just as good. I'm not a huge fan of Nystatin but that is a very good idea! Best I've heard so far.

Thank you so much!
wee.gif

MGP Nystatin Oral Suspension, USP (100,000 units per mL) - fruit flavored
Poultry dosage: 3 cc's orally twice per day for treatment of candida

Always remember to shake bottle well before using. Good luck!

I'm sorry. With the nystatin what about a sitze(salty with epsom salt) or witch hazel soak for the remaining hens rear? No scrubbing, just soaking. Also make the water very warm, their temperature runs a few degrees higher then ours.

I agree with waibel zoo, keeping their bottoms clean without scrubbing sounds like a good idea. Need to get those bottoms dried out.

Also, Love'em - I sent you a PM.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom