whats up with my female white cambell?

cherylsflock

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Hi, i would be grateful if someone could help.....i have 2 white cambell females aged 8months,noisy and nippy (my children chose the names - they got it spot on) both make brilliant pets with lots of character (the only downside being what they have done to my lovely garden
th.gif
lol. I am getting an egg from each of them every morning and have been since they started laying around 6weeks ago, i feed them corn, layers pellets and greens with crickets and mealworms as a treat. However thismorning there was only 1 egg and since we got home after work tonight, noisy has been sitting very quietly and seems to be tensing her back end, she is also very swollen on her back end. I dont feed them bread as i know this can make them compacted. Hope someone can give me a bit of advice....do i need to contact a vet? or will she be ok?

Hi, i would be grateful if someone could help.....i have 2 white cambell females aged 8months,noisy and nippy (my children chose the names - they got it spot on) both make brilliant pets with lots of character (the only downside being what they have done to my lovely garden
th.gif
lol. I am getting an egg from each of them every morning and have been since they started laying around 6weeks ago, i feed them corn, layers pellets and greens with crickets and mealworms as a treat. However thismorning there was only 1 egg and since we got home after work tonight, noisy has been sitting very quietly and seems to be tensing her back end, she is also very swollen on her back end. I dont feed them bread as i know this can make them compacted. Hope someone can give me a bit of advice....do i need to contact a vet? or will she be ok?
Sounds like she may be having a problem laying her egg, put her in some warm water and let her soak, sometimes that helps them relax enough to lay the egg. if you have somekind of calcium you can offer her some mixed with water, I use liquid calcium on my chickens but haven't had to use it on one of my ducks yet. If you have a vet that will see her that would probably be the way to go, but try the warm water first.

Ditto Miss Lydia. Take this seriously, she's having some kind of problem, probably egg related.

If you're already giving layer and oyster shell on the side, you can add the powdery stuff from the bag of oyster shell to her water (not all of the powder, a teaspoon or so . . . .I used to take an old strainer and scoop the oyster shell then swish it in the water to get the fine stuff into the water). Or you could buy a bottle of Calcium Gluconate and add one teaspoon per half cup of water.

Some folks clean up egg shells and then grind them up and add them to feed for a calcium boost.

But I would get her into a warm tub deep enough to float in a.s.a.p. and give her at least an hour. Also a clean, dry, quiet place to rest tonight.

Praying for you all.

Back
Top Bottom