Whats up with my girl?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mamaoflots, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Mamaoflots

Mamaoflots Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Hi there,

We have 4 hens. 3 are perfectly normally healthy, one not quite so.

She has a dirty bottom which we have recently realised is not just her having a dirty behind, so we found out how to see to her, and were going to at the weekend just gone, but on Friday night a naughty fox managed to get in the hen house(we aren't quite sure how, but found where and its now fixed. Fortunately he didn't kill any, we heard them making a fuss so managed to scare him off v quick.) But our girl Sophia is suffering. Foxy obviously got her in the neck and she had a small amount of blood, which now seems to have healed or at least be healing well. Her comb is very pale and shrivelled. It was pale before this event, we assumed she was going into moult.
    We think there has been some damage to one if not both of her eyes, and she isn't seeing well at all. She isn't really drinking or eating. We were advised to give her some high protein food, but she didn't seem to manage opening her mouth. We have separated her during the day from the others and then put her in the house at night with them but she doesn't get up on the prch she is seeking refuge in the pet carrier we put in.

This morning we mixed a little liquid paracetamol (Calpol) into some tinned corn kernals. She was pecking at it, but not able to open wide enough to eat it, so I blitzed some and she ate a little.

She is fairly lifeless but ok. She spends most of her time either sitting with her head lolling or sitting with her head lolling. This evening I cut some watermelon and have held it for her while she pecks at it, she has eaten quite a bit.

I guess my question is, is she/will she be ok? Would it be kinder to send her to chicken heaven? Or is there something else I can do for her?

Many thanks

Zoe

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    If she can peck but can't really pick up the food, I would soften it. I had a rooster with Cross beak and I would soften his food, he learned to use his beak as a scooper. How long has it been since the attack? She just may need more time to recover depending on the damages that have been done. Hopefully there's no infection, have you cleaned and checked out the wound? Sometimes an opened wound if not covered will attract flies then you have another problem.

Have you taken a look inside her mouth? Sounds like some damage done to the jaw if she is unable to open her mouth?? I would probably try and look in it, also around the jaw for any swelling that you may have missed. Feel around it too for perhaps a broken bone maybe she has a fracture in which you wouldn't be able to tell unless you have xray's done. Something is going on with the jaw for her not to be able to open it?

3. Mamaoflots

Mamaoflots Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Thanks for the info, She seems to be pecking at the food a bit(being very fussy, choosing the melon over pellets) but then seems to have a beak twitching session after she eats something. Is this something they would generally do and we wouldn't really notice or is it something abnormal. No signs of anything broken, wound seems fine, but she is very nervous of us touching near her face!

We bathed her this afternoon and left her in the sunny patch of garden to dry off, but doesn't really seem any livelier!

4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    twitching? Humm haven't noticed or heard of that one. Sounds like a nerve damage..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by