Whats up with my girls feathers?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GBov, Sep 23, 2010.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Have noticed that even after taking the roos out of my girl pen (they were tasty lol) that their feathers havnt grown back. And not only have they not grown back all sleek and nice, their backs have broken stumps of feathers, fat bent over blood feather nubs and some feathers coming in bent and "funny" looking.

And now have a girl with blood all over her shoulders with lots of broken stumps of feathers.

Whats up with my girls?

Havnt seen any lice or mites, they get good sunshine and Purina game bird feed and lots of different snacks.

At a bit of a loss really but dont want to let any problem get too far to fix so thought I would ask.

Did have an unexplained death a few week ago who just wasted away.

They are on sand covered concrete with oak logs and hide aways made of grass. The pen is 4ft by 6 ft and has 12 quail in it, 11 girls and one suspect bird that may or may not be a boy but have never seen him jump any of the girls.

2. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    You could have an overly aggressive female or a very sneaky secret male. If you get the chance, try to sit and watch them for awhile and see if you can spot who might still be picking on everyone else. Somebody else might be finding their way to your dinner plate.

3. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:Hey Goody, a reason to just sit and watch them [​IMG]

Would birds that have lived together since early spring (coturnix) till now suddenly develop aggression problems?

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay

Would birds that have lived together since early spring (coturnix) till now suddenly develop aggression problems?

Hens can be as aggressive as males too, is it just one hen that is severely picked? Can you separate her from the others? Or are there more pecked ones?? How is your lighting? Sometimes when there is too much light, the birds get aggravated.

5. GBov

Apr 3, 2009

Hens can be as aggressive as males too, is it just one hen that is severely picked? Can you separate her from the others? Or are there more pecked ones?? How is your lighting? Sometimes when there is too much light, the birds get aggravated.

Its not just one, four or five show feather loss from LOTS to a bit. All the lost feathers are from the lower back with the worst one having feathers gone from between the wings too.

I could put her in a bird cage but she seems perfectly happy where she is, not being chased by the others or anything.

My light is provided by mother nature but I have filtered it through some thick tropical vines so is more dappled than direct.

And they have logs and big bunches of dried grass to hide in. Actually, with all the places to hide its not even poss. to see them all at the same time.

Which reminds me, they have finished their apple and need another one lol.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    The Feather Loss Will Remain Until After The Next Molt

7. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:Question, how often do most quail molt?

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Question, how often do most quail molt?

Twice a year like any other bird, in the spring and fall.

9. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma

I know it will be hard, but you will just have to suck it up and do it. [​IMG]

Birds are weird. One minute Shelly and Henrietta are running around like the best of friends, the next they are calling each names and feathers are being pulled out. Kind of like the girls I went to school with.

10. GBov

Apr 3, 2009

I know it will be hard, but you will just have to suck it up and do it. [​IMG]

Birds are weird. One minute Shelly and Henrietta are running around like the best of friends, the next they are calling each names and feathers are being pulled out. Kind of like the girls I went to school with.

Oh the things we do for our birds [​IMG]

Have been watching them on and off all day but no one has done more than one poke in the bum to shift her out of the way lol.

Will keep watching them over the next few days [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by