What's up with my goose?!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by smithzoo, Mar 6, 2017.

1. smithzoo

smithzoo Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2015
    We noticed a "pouch" of sorts growing on the rear underside of our Pomeranian goose a couple weeks ago but didn't think much of it. She's now lost the feathers covering it and it sometimes look red. She's been acting ok and eating well, and it doesn't seem to bother her, but we're growing more concerned. She not mean but difficult to catch. I also have a broken hand which complicates things. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am not sure what that could be, I'd say if at all possible a vet should have a look. maybe an abscess or even a tumor?
    @smithzoo

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I agree. It looks like something for a vet to check out. Fast growing lumps are a concern and like Miss Lydia stated are likely abscesses or more likely tumors.

4. smithzoo

May 3, 2015
    She just laid an egg this morning (first in some time) if that changes anything.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How does that lump look since she laid. Is it hot feeling? could be an infection. I hate to guess though and it be life threatening but it takes alot of work to make an egg so her body hopefully is doing okay still. If you can look at the area real good feel it does it feel hard and hot or soft and squishy Wonder if she could have gotten an injury and this has abscessed. Just hard to know for sure but I'd really check it out.Close up pic if you have someone to help. @smithzoo

6. smithzoo

May 3, 2015
    Bump didn't go down at all. It's body temperature, soft and felt like it's full of liquid. Found a vet that's coming to check her out today. Thanks for the advice![​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Glad you have a vet coming please let us know what he says.

8. smithzoo

May 3, 2015
    Vet came out an wasn't sure what it was. Need a needle draw and nothing came out. So today I'm taking her to their clinic for an ultrasound so they can hopefully figure out what it is. She laid another egg this morning...no reduction in the size. It doesn't appear to be growing which is good.

9. smithzoo

May 3, 2015
    It appears that my poor girl had a hernia laying an egg. We're weighing our options now as she's more pet than anything.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wow I would never have thought hernia. What would options be surgery? what else. Did the vet say she could live like this with out any problems? Bless she much have really had to strain.

Thanks for letting us know @smithzoo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by