What's up with my poor little cochin?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rnorris1234, Jul 16, 2010.

1. rnorris1234

rnorris1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    OK. my poor little cochin is about 12 weeks old. She (?) has just started feathering out over the last couple of weeks. She has also grown a lot over the last 2 weeks, she was really a runt, but starting to grow. Her feathers are kind of sticking out all over the place. Is she a frizzle??? or just a bad hair day. I also can't figure out her color. She was a nice blue down, but her most of her feathers are really dark -- not quite black, but a dark charcoal gray color. The new feathers on her chest is a much lighter color. Her beak was yellow, but started turning black about a month ago, along with her comb. Do I have some sort of genetic mutant or what???
    I'm hoping that my little ugly duckling will grow up to be a swan, but I just don't know!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

4 months old? She's a slow starter but looks healthy. They have an awkward stage of feathering. Is she bantam or large fowl? I've not seen a 4 month old cochin chick with so little feathering but I'm most familiar with bantams....does she eat/drink/poop ok?
    She's an unusual color, a blue mixture looks like. Will be neat to see her fully grown and feathered out!

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I love blue cochins,

It does look really younger than 12 weeks but i have had late bloomers here also.

Does it have a place to dust bath? that helps keep the feathers clean and neat.

Kinda like when we wash our hair.

4. rnorris1234

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    Ilooked back and I bought her on May 7 and she was 2 or 3 days old then (Cinco de Mayo perhaps?) So not quite 11 weeks old. She has 2 siblings that are both splash and are much bigger and feathered out beautifully. I pulled her out of the coop with the bigger chickens and put her back in a brooding pen (I was afraid she would be picked on for being so much smaller and she had almost no feathers then.) She has really grown a lot since then (but so have the other 2 -- a real lot). They are full size Cochins, not Bantams.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Skin loooks to be pink/white, not yellow, and some of the feathers look to be red. Looks younger than 11 weeks, but sometimes birds develop quite slowly. Doesn't seem frizzzled.

6. rnorris1234

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    Here is a picture of her 2 siblings. They were all purchased the same day as 2-3 day old chicks. These are much bigger than the blue/black.
    [​IMG]

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    It almost looks like he has some irritation on his face. I would put some petroleum jelly on it (taking care to avoid his eyes) and see if that can smother any mites or dry skin.

8. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    I would take a baking dish or a type of pan that the bird could jump into , place some dirt in the bottom so the bird can take a dust bath.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by