What's up with my Roo?

Triple P Coop

Hatching
Apr 14, 2016
Anderson, SC
My Rhode Island Red Rooster has been acting strange. I think it's due to the heat. We've been in the 90's. I picked him up checked his legs and his wings all seems normal. His comb and waddle are still a deep red color. I have been finding him laying on his side or back and then he can't get up without falling over. When he walks he is wobbly sometimes falling on his back. He is panting yet seems really calm. I've started giving all my chickens electrolytes in their water since yesterday. He was seeming better this morning and was crowing. Then the sun came up and the heat kicked in again. Today we moved him indoors. He is laying on his side, he seems more alert with his head looking around. Is this from the heat? Anyone else go through this that can offer some advice. Please help me, help my Roo....

Does he feel hot and is he spreading out his wings to try to cool himself?
Moving him to a cooler place was the right thing to do. If you think it is heat stress or heat stroke, try placing his feet and legs in a tub of cool water (some recommend gently putting the whole chicken in a bucket of cool water). Make sure you get him hydrated, with either the electrolyte solution or plain cool water. Monitor his progress.

If he recovers and you put him back outside, consider trying to provide more shade, run fans in the coop/run, provide a shallow pan of water for the chickens to stand in, etc. There are numerous tips, ideas and article on keeping chickens cool in the summer here on BYC and the internet.

Keep us updated on how he is doing.

Treating for heat stress:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-heat-stress-dehydration-and.html
http://chickenscratchny.com/2012/06/dealing-with-heat-stroke-in-chickens.html

Ways to help chickens cool down.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/beat-heat-helping-chickens-survive-high.html

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the information. He is seeming more alert. I've been using a syringe and giving him electrolytes. His feet and comb are now cool to the touch. He is still most comfortable on his side. I think if this doesn't kill him, it was dang close. My poor Roo! I had no idea it was so serious. They free range all day and I coop them at night. I have 10 hens as well. They seem to be beating the heat better. They have been getting deep into the shrubbery, and raspberry bushes. For some reason he felt compelled to sit in the middle of the yard, just keeping an eye on everything. Sadly he's fighting for his life because of it. It breaks my heart.

He started getting really hot again. I put him into a tepid bath. He began shivering. I'm guessing that's because his extremely high body temperature was finally dropping. I gave him two more syringes of electrolytes. Left him wrapped in the towel on his side in the large dog kennel he is residing in for at least the next few days. I will check on him again in 15 minutes.

Thank You, me too....
1f614.png

Thank You for the kind words, wisdom, and support...

Update on my Roo ~ He is getting better everyday! He was drinking and eating on his own today. He is slowly regaining his strength, and is walking again. He is still fragile I'm sure and will be treated as such. As the temperatures are remaining in the 90's, he will remain in the house. (as I wipe the sweat from my brow....that was a close one!)
1f613.png

Back
Top Bottom