What's up with my Scovie girls?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Dec 29, 2009.

1. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

I heard and expected them to quit laying eggs by now. This is northern Indiana & it's been cold for 2months. Low in the teens at night and highs in the 20's or low 30's. I just found 16 beautiful eggs in a secret clutch of Chloe's. [​IMG] I knew she was eating as if she was laying but couldn't figure WHERE she might be laying them. Chloe's mom, Charlotte is laying everyday in the chicken coop. I just keep scooping up her egg along w/the chooks. I was hoping they would have quit by now so their bodies could rest and be ready to roll in the spring. No added heat in their duck shed & no added light either. [​IMG] Maybe I am feeding them to well? Do Scovies need a rest fm laying? Will their brooding cycle get all screwed up? I'm concerned over nothing? Now that I posted this, watch, they will quit laying tomorrow or the next day. [​IMG]

2. clhbubba

clhbubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    Last year ours quit but this year I have two persistent hens. We keep taking their eggs and they keep laying. I think I may finally have discouraged our blue hen but the blk/wht still keeps trying! There's snow on the ground, I'm hoping that will give her a clue.

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    your sooo lucky mine quit in october or november! but i have swedes so........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by