Whats up with my speckled sussex chicks....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stormylady, Apr 22, 2009.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    My speckled sussex are 4 and 1/2 weeks old, and My EEs that were hatched out on the 1st of april are bigger than my two Sussex! The Sussex are feathered out most of the way with just alittle fuzz around the head and neck, The EEs are 10 days younger than them and most are bigger than them and some are the same size, the sussex act perfectly normal if a little naughty at times. They get around all too well, eat and drink normally, do everything all good little chicks do except GROW! They are supposed to be Large Foul size but gee they are so small compared to the EEs. They both had trouble hatching out of there shells, but both are fine health wise now. Are my babies always going to be small or will the catch up at some point! The larger of the two little sussex preferrs to be with the chicks that were hatched out on the 5th everytime I go to check on her/him I find him cuddled up asleep with the smallest babies and I fish him out and put her back in her brooder with her sister and the EEs, and i turn my back and she is back in with the little ones , I don't know why she does this nobody picks on her if anything she might be a little bit of a bully herself though I have never seen her being mean to the littler babies. Any Ideas why they are so small and will they grow, Anybody out there have Speckled sussex that grew soooooo slowwwwly?

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Were the Sussex hatched from pullet eggs? If so, they will probably just take a little longer to reach their full size. If not, they may just come from small bloodlines or bloodlines that mature very slowly. You could check with the breeder. . .

3. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Im not sure, I got the eggs from Bargain here on byc and Ive seen pictures of her hens and they didn't look small to me. But i will check with her. Thanks Sandy

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, definitely talk to her. I'm sure she knows the tendencies of her bloodlines, and also will be able to tell you if she sent you pullet eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by