what's up with our chochins

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by team guava pastry, Nov 11, 2009.

1. team guava pastry

team guava pastry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    We have 4 great little chochins and they are all doing just fine. We got them in April. and have been laying real good.
    Usually 3 eggs a day and no roosters around to bother them.
    Got their privacy in the coop and are not crowded, free range inthe back yard.
    Now only one a day and I've looked everywhere in the yard no nest no eggs. Not a big yard either 75by 100

It's like they just said OK that enough. Like they are on strike.

Any ideas??????

Please......

2. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    mine are 35 weeks, laid for 2 weeks and quit completely, molt, weather, lighting, and the breed tends to have a drop off for winter!

3. team guava pastry

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    I live in Miami, what's winter??

cold weather here is 60's

so what other factors could it be??

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Cochins are only 'medium' in their production expectations. You might want a few Rhode Island Reds or Leghorns if you want 'high' production. I like Cochins, because they are great moms. But I also want a few eggs.

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    What other factors? The amount of daylight. I know it's not that cold here in Florida, but the days are getting shorter. That's what makes the most difference. Mine haven't layed in several weeks- one of them is in a bad molt. You could try adding a light for a few extra hours/day.

6. team guava pastry

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    well the weather has ben kinda weird lately.

What kind of lights are you referring to? And where would i put them, inside the coop in the late afternoon?

again thanks

7. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Well I don't know for sure, because I never watch the news, but I heard that storm.....Ida, that was heading for us, took a turn and went more in your direction. But yes, if you light the coop, you could improve production. Personally, I'm too much of a penny pincher for that. I like to keep chickens good for everything....eggs, meat, brooding......and I have to say that the cochins I had were for the latter. If I wanted eggs, I chose from a breed known for high egg production, like a leghorn, minorca, ancona, or (if I wanted brown eggs) Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock. I never did have enough eggs, because I sold them and they were always in high demand, but I think I will save up my eggs for hard times, because hard times do come. Molts happen. Bad weather comes. Dogs and preditors frighten hens. Days get short in winter. I think you just got to take the punches when they come.

8. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    How old are they? Cochins are not the best layers in the world. Mine lay like twice a year, I get a handful of eggs from each and then done for months. Cochins make better broodies. You can add artificial lighting in the morning, put it on a timer to come on around 4-5 am however, this still may not make a cochin lay.

9. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    You would put the light inside the coop and leave it on a few hours after sunset or turn it on a few hours before sunrise- maybe with an appliance timer.

10. team guava pastry

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    thanks for all the info, I can put a light with a timer in the coop for them.

They have been laying since we got them in April all 4 of them. off and on

We have grown attached to them, so until something happens to them. They are our girls. [​IMG]
    They do make me laugh, we got a goose with them and theyare quite the team.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by