Whats up with Purina Sunfresh Recipe Chick Crumbles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Willow's Meadow, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    My chickens are 12 weeks old and ever since I got them I notice that the Purina Crumbles always gets wasted. It always turns to dust!!!! Does that happen to you? Half of it turns to dust....its a waste of money and feed! I wish they had start and grow pellets. I guess there's nothing I can do....is there? Ughhh it makes me so mad!!!!!
  2. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    I NOTICED THE SAME THING!!!! OM gosh...... I had another kind of chick starter (that wasn't medicated) I used with my first batch of chicks. But after losing one to cocci, I decided really fast to use only the medicated from that point on. (Demars - I think that was the fitst kind of chick starter, which is supposed to be made by purina too). So then I only bought the medicated Purina chick starter in the red bag.

Anyway, I too noticed it's mostly dust. I even checked the bag because I thought maybe I had it upside down and that's why there was so much dust on top.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!! It is very aggrevating! Especially when the chicks are already kicking and spilling the feed everywhere as it is. It's a double waste! Maybe we should send them an e-mail with a link to this thread???
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The last non-medicated Purina feed I bought for chicks (Home Grown variety, their cheaper one) was just powder. I won't buy from Purina usually because I don't want vegetarian feed, but that sure didn't make me want to go back, even if it's the only non-medicated feed in my area.
  4. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    I had the same with Purina Flock Raiser. It comes in crumbles and the bottom of the feeder got always kinda clogged with all the accumulated feed dust. I switched to Layer Pellets and mixed in the rest of the Flock Raiser as a transition. Now the stupid "turned to dust" crumbles clog the feeder again and the pellets can not fall through. I am done with all kinds of crumbles. Only Pellets in the future !!!!
    I don't know if it is a Purina problem or just the crumbles even from other brands.
  5. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    I have a bag of Dumor chick starter/grower crumbles and its just as bad..
  6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Ive used 3, started with Dumor the first time out, second I got the local feed mill variety and this last time had to go to Purina because the mill was out. They all do it, I think its just the way with crumbles. My game bird feed for the adults is crumble and it does it too. I accept it with the chicks but for the adults I raised the feeder so theres not so much waste but there still is some dust.
  7. rabbithaus

rabbithaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Triangle, NC
    I feel for you. I was so excited to see a locally milled organic feed that I bought a bag of grower without checking to see what type it was. It is a mash. Talk about mess and waste. Although my girls do pick at the spillage there is a ton that is not getting eaten.
  8. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Purina is actually the best I can find here, lol! The co-op and Dumor crumbles are almost all powder.
  9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I like to feed my baby chicks wet feed as treats (just a little - they devour it so it won't get moldy) and that powdery stuff is perfect for that so I save the 'bottom of the bag' as my 'mush' stash. It goes quickly! [​IMG]
  10. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    I noticed that the Flockraiser crumbles have been mostly just dust too. I've taken to mixing mine with water to make a paste like when they were babies do it doesn't get wasted. The Chick Crumbles, same thing.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by