what's up with the leghorns?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crunchynut, Nov 11, 2011.

1. crunchynut

crunchynut Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    New England
    I've always heard leghorns were some of the earliest laying. My speckled sussex and one of my salmon faverolles began laying this week (they all hatched May 5th), but still nothing from either of my two exchequer leghorn girls. Their combs are bright red now, and people who know chickens tell me they look like they'd be laying, but nothing. They are currently in their coop 24/7 (just for this week because they moved from the garage to the finally finished coop and I want to give them time to learn it is home), so if they were laying I should have been able to find the eggs.

2. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Maybe the move is what has set them back... I know they are like brats when anything changes... When I put new shavings in the coop and run they act like I have spread red hot lava everywhere... Good luck with this one because you are right I get eggs from my leghorns every day even when my other girls don't lay...

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It's very late in the year. Chickens need about 14 hours of daylight per day to lay.

4. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    One other thing is your coop lighted... I have started leaving the light on after they go in for a few hours in the evening and turn it on for a few hours before daylight... Lack of light will also cause them not to lay...

5. crunchynut

Mar 23, 2011
    New England
    Quote:I have a 2y/o and a 4y/o ...just my luck I'd also end up with temperamental teenage chickens! From the start these girls have done their own thing - they used to sleep in the trees at night up too high for me to bring them down and put them where they belonged.

6. crunchynut

Mar 23, 2011
    New England
    No, I haven't installed a light yet - I've been reading conflicting opinions and hadn't decided what to do yet. I might try it even if only to see if that finally gets them laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by