What's up with the Marans thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Egger

New Egg
9 Years
Nov 4, 2010
It's under the "Breeds, Genetics & Showing" forum, but it's more "Random Rambling Lonely Housewives' Club" than anything.

The reason I ask is that I'd like to start one where we can actually discuss Marans with some semblance of science and logic and spare the crochet chat, but that would apparently be against the rules?

Quote:
Ah, the "dreaded" question.
wink.png

I think that after a lot of people with a common interest get comfortable together, the conversation expands into personal lives. It's called making friends. I'm fairly sure that most BYC members are here not just for the chickens but also for socializing with like minded people.

It seems a thread made only for a small group, excluding most of the members of BYC, would be inappropriate if others were actively discouraged from participating. Judging by your comments above, it would be a very lonely thread.

Quote:
Ah, the "dreaded" question.
wink.png

I think that after a lot of people with a common interest get comfortable together, the conversation expands into personal lives. It's called making friends. I'm fairly sure that most BYC members are here not just for the chickens but also for socializing with like minded people.

It seems a thread made only for a small group, excluding most of the members of BYC, would be inappropriate if others were actively discouraged from participating. Judging by your comments above, it would be a very lonely thread.

hahaha...good one ranchhand. I think some "return" members think we're all idiots and don't know them when we see them.

Last edited:
Sorry to say this but I am seriously offended by this and I for one do not mind a little off topic conversation for the sake of keeping it a little more peaceful for all if it takes attention away from the nastiness that occurs from time to time.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
You know I've posted many times on threads that seem to be "buddy" threads and most times are welcomed, but it is true, when you come across some incredible people with similar interests it can be hard to keep the personal stuff out of the thread.

Maybe we can develop a similar thing like instant messaging on byc..wow I'd never get any work done!

If you don't care for the way a thread is going, tactfully steer it back on topic and if that doesn't work, either report it or bow out. Seems simple enough, really.
hmm.png

Last edited:
We definitely know it is a tricky balance and appreciate the different points of view.

In general we want the topics outside of Random Ramblings to more-or-less stay on topic... especially the discussions in the forums found under the category "Raising BackYard Chickens".

A little off topic discussion isn't usually a problem, but if a non random ramblings thread goes way off topic and turns into a chat thread the moderators may step in and ask that another thread be started for chatting. Hopefully the members will "self-moderate" in these situations and will say, "Hey, let's start a new thread to talk about xxxyyy so we don't take this one off course."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom