whats up with the Serema rooster?

cochunk

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
Ok so we got a 6month old serema rooster aout amonth ago, and i dont know why but he always seems to smell, is that some defence he has or something? we even gave him a bath but still had that weird smell. and another thing, sometimes the tips of his comb turn a purple color, but will look normal later.

Where does he smell? Face? Breath? All over?

Comb color is an imperfect indicator of health in chickens. Sometimes color changes are indicative of health changes, but sometimes the color changes mean nothing. Some things that may change the color of a bird's comb would be: respiratory problems, heart/circulatory issues, hormones, presence of parasites, temperature changes, humidity changes, lighting changes, and I am sure there are more that I am forgetting. Some are concerning, but several are not. If he doesn't have any symptoms then I would not worry too much about it.

i guess the comb would be changing cause of being nervous, it happens when we pick him up too.

he smells all over

I have a few Serama roosters, have never noticed any particular smell about them.

Make sure the feather down under his vent is clean, I just trim it off if it is soiled.

Also make certain he has an area to take a good dust bath. He may just have gotten soiled and need to get himself cleaned up.

Have you tried giving him a warm bath? He just may be dirty and need a chance to get clean. Many chickens will actually enjoy a warm bath..............yes, I did not believe it either.

Back
Top Bottom