whats up with this chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Anastaia, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Anastaia

Anastaia In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2019
    Im not sure if I've put this in the right place but here is my dilemma.

I've had some eggs sitting under my clucky hen and one hatched last night and is happy and healthy.
    the other egg hatched this arvo while i wasn't home and i came home to find this
    [​IMG][​IMG]by the looks of it it hasn't fully formed of somethings gone wrong Im not sure. could anyone help me out what is this /what causes this? and is there anything i can do to prevent this in the future?
    Many thanks.

Attached Files:

Shezadandy likes this.
  2. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    it looks like it hadn't fully absorbed or, it pulled stuff back out while still attached to the egg shell by umbilical cord.

Is the chick still alive? if so put it in an incubator to keep it warm and isolated so the others don't pick at it,

Tagging someone that may be able to give you more information or ideas, some of these issues happen during incubation with a hen or an incubator,

@Ridgerunner

Shezadandy, Anastaia and Lizzy733 like this.
  3. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Crowing

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I'd say chick had it's egg cracked and/or smashed before it was ready to hatch. It may have pipped and then momma may have accidentally stepped on and/or pecked the egg where the shell was weakened from the pip. That's my best guess. It happens sometimes! If I catch it early before the chick is left defenseless, I take that egg (assuming the chick shows signs of life), coat it in coconut oil and either keep it warm in an incubator (always have it standing by) or in my hands. Once the shell is compromised like that -- unless you find it early while it's still alive- ugh. I'll try and find a picture of one I saved and what the shell looked like when I pulled it out.

featheredplanets and slordaz like this.
  4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I agree.. something Happened before it could absorb everything. Mama may have stepped on it, or wriggled back and forth too hard on the egg while settling back down. Sorry..:(.

Shezadandy likes this.
  5. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Crowing

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    This is what I found. I'm a "nosy" broody hen helper - I keep my broodies in a crate in the house for hatching time and I like to pull out eggshells after a baby has hatched, especially when there are a bunch of eggs hatching. It all depends on the hen and what she'll put up with. Anyhow- see the light blue/white egg- the crushed side was down when I'd taken her off for a poop break and to get the shell from the newest hatchling.

Lucky's eggshell in the nest.jpg

And this was the crushed side. Now, I chipped away at the top to help him hatch, but the rest is damage from something the hen did. She did just fine as a mom- just a bad moment in however she damaged the egg.
    Lucky's eggshell.jpg

Ultimately they all hatched- we called the yellow one that came out of this egg "Lucky".
    Janice's brood 2-5-18 945 all but Y2 and Y3 003.jpg

Cynthia12 likes this.
  6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Shez.. pretty colors! I so miss hatching. Used to several times a year. Hubby health reasons why I can't any longer. Chicks take time. It was Soo fun though.

Sequel and Shezadandy like this.
  7. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Crowing

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Thanks! We'd had something of a chick boom when this crushed egg happened. Three hens hatched within 2 weeks of each other and every hen hatched every egg. Usually I count on a certain number not hatching, and of course knowing some will be boys … and POOF!!! Sorry to hear you're not hatching anymore! Hopefully one day you'll be able to come back to it. It's most certainly addictive! This year I cheated and mostly bought day old pullets for my broody hens … only hatched one group. Partially because I needed girls unrelated to my roosters, partially didn't want to have a bunch of cockerels to rehome.

Cynthia12 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: