What's up with this chicken?

Chickycammy

Songster
6 Years
Feb 15, 2018
North Carolina
We had white leghorn hens with a plymouth barred rock roo and they had chicks on March 26th. All but 1 has died for unknown reasons and even though we feed it food with 24% protein and I tend to give it eggs too it's not growing right.

I don't know the gender and it hasn't grown a crown or those things that hang from their jaws. It's also missing all it's toe nails on 1 foot. It's fully feathered though and not peeping but it's so small like its still a chick.

Any ideas on what's going on? Should I be worried it'll be small forever?

Attachments

• 20180603_124626.jpg
    20180603_124626.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 10
24% protein is too high. 18-20% is good for now, and make sure the feed has all of the other nutrients needed by growing chooks. It will if it is a good starter feed. Also, I don't think that bird is a white Leghorn x barred rock. It looks more like an Easter egger, and Easter eggers don't have wattles and their combs are small. A frontal, close-up photo of this bird's comb could help confirm, and a side view photo of its body would help, too.

That's my guess, anyway, that there was a breed mix up. The bird looks to be a decent size for 9 weeks old. It's not extremely small. I can't explain the missing toenails except that maybe that is connected with the protein surplus or perhaps a lack of a nutrient like vitamin D.

I suggest posting in another forum for better medical diagnosis and advice for this bird: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Last edited:
24% protein is too high. 18-20% is good for now, and make sure the feed has all of the other nutrients needed by growing chooks. It will if it is a good starter feed. Also, I don't think that bird is a white Leghorn x barred rock. It looks more like an Easter egger, and Easter eggers don't have wattles and their combs are small. A frontal, close-up photo of this bird's comb could help confirm, and a side view photo of it's body would help, too.

That's my guess, anyway, that there was a breed mix up. The bird looks to be a decent size for 9 weeks old. It's not extremely small. I can't explain the missing toenails except that maybe that is connected with the protein surplus or perhaps a lack of a nutrient like vitamin D.

I suggest posting in another forum for better medical diagnosis and advice for this bird: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/
X2

24% protein is too high. 18-20% is good for now, and make sure the feed has all of the other nutrients needed by growing chooks. It will if it is a good starter feed. Also, I don't think that bird is a white Leghorn x barred rock. It looks more like an Easter egger, and Easter eggers don't have wattles and their combs are small. A frontal, close-up photo of this bird's comb could help confirm, and a side view photo of it's body would help, too.

Thank you. Though we don't own any Easter egg chickens. It could be one of the parents isn't full-blooded as I got them as chicks from a friend. Either way, I wasn't sure if it wasn't growing right but if it's a good size for that age then I'll change up the food to a lower protein and keep watching it for any other signs.

Thank you. Though we don't own any Easter egg chickens. It could be one of the parents isn't full-blooded as I got them as chicks from a friend. Either way, I wasn't sure if it wasn't growing right but if it's a good size for that age then I'll change up the food to a lower protein and keep watching it for any other signs.
You're welcome. And never hesitate to post in the BYC forums if you have questions/concerns. People in here love to help!

Back
Top Bottom