What's up with this dark spot???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cochinfan05, Oct 20, 2016.

1. cochinfan05

cochinfan05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    So I candled my Silkie eggs last night and noticed one with a dark "chunk" in it. We're on day 7. At first I assumed it was a dead embryo, but upon further inspection I can see the embryo moving at another part of the egg? What is it? Could it harm the egg or the other ones in the incubator. I wasn't to worried until my daughter mentioned that when their class incubated eggs all the eggs started getting dark spots and all the chicks died in the eggs! The teacher told them it was some kind of bacteria?
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the crappy pic. It's incredibly hard to candle an egg and try to snap a pic too!

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    If it's that big if its moving, it's the eye/embryo, if not moving it's sadly dead honey..

3. cochinfan05

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    It's definitely not the embryo. I can see the embryo moving towards the middle of the egg. This is towards the air cell.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  4. cochinfan05

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    Just an update: candles again today out of curiosity. Dark spot is still very large, and embryo is still swirling in another section of egg.

5. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I probably wouldn't worry about it, I mean the embryo is still alive :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by