What's up with this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brshooter, May 4, 2016.

1. brshooter

brshooter Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2012
    Aloha, OR
    We have one of our hens that started laying wrinkled eggs and they are sometimes a bit non-symetrical. Started when she resumed laying this spring. I haven't singled out the offending hen yet. We get several a week from her. They look fine inside although we usually feed these to our dog. We feed a 16% layer pellets. They get grit and oyster shell regularly. They free range in a 20 x 65 run and also have access to our entire backyard until the garden is fully planted. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    you can eat them the shell is just deformed, it is called a body check it is where the offending hen gets bumped around while the egg is in the oviduct it gets "healed" before it comes out.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    This is not a body check -- this is what is often referred to as "corrugated" - it's a matter of the membrane beneath the shell causing uneven/"wrinkled" shell deposit. There are a few possible causes -- Extra large egg size/often double or multi yolk eggs, Newcastle disease, excessive use of antibiotics, copper deficiency in the hen's diet, excess calcium consumption, defective shell gland and recovery from IB among them.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    it looked like it was cracked vs. the membrane being wavy. But you are right now that I look more closely it does look wavy.

5. Clousic Chicks

Clousic Chicks Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2015
    Spokane, Washington
    We had the exact same issue - looks like it hurts! It was not every egg she laid so I did some research ---that indicated that it could be too much calcium. I did increase their overall protein and we haven't had an issue since. I would really like to know what this means. We have one hen (Buff Orpington) who has always had a floppy comb so we assumed it was her....we have it down to her or our White Plymouth Rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by