Whats up with this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maybejoey, Oct 1, 2011.

1. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I found an egg today and it has Two spots that have no shell! I have a few questions about it too.
    -is it okay to eat?
    -what am I doing wrong/how did this happen?
    -Are my chickens sick?

All answers help here is a picture. Thankyou.

[​IMG]

2. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    Maybe the Chicken pecked it?
    If you are not sure on the eating part, fry it up and feed it back to your chickens.
    I don't think you are doing anything wrong and I don't think they are sick unless it happens often.

3. maybejoey

No its never happened before, it just looked like it wasnt completely formed.[​IMG]

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Chickens lay different kinds of eggs all the time. It doesn't mean that anything is wrong with them it just "is what it is"! It's just natural to have glitches in their systems every once in awhile!!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  5. maybejoey

I got another one today, only hole was bigger but there was only one. What the frizzle is happenning. (oh frizzle is my top secret swerar word)[​IMG]

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I had a couple of these at one point and it was the hens pecking each others' eggs...it always seemed that the head hen would peck the lower hens eggs... [​IMG]

7. maybejoey

BigDaddy'sGurl :

I had a couple of these at one point and it was the hens pecking each others' eggs...it always seemed that the head hen would peck the lower hens eggs... [​IMG]

Mayeb thats it. But my chickens are very nice and would never do that, maybe they thought it was a treat.[​IMG]

8. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    If it has the appearance of not being fully formed that could be. The shell is the last thind formed on the egg before it is laid. It is not uncommon for little mistakes to occur especially when they are new at laying.

I just had a pullet who had been laying perfect little eggs than suddenly she laid a rubber egg and 3 with no shell or membrane at all, just squirted out the yolk/white all together. I did notice her acting a little crook for a few days but after the last shelless egg she went two days with nothing and is now back to normal.

I really wouldn't worry unless it continues. Probably just an anomaly.

9. lollimama

lollimama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Quote:Mayeb thats it. But my chickens are very nice and would never do that, maybe they thought it was a treat.[​IMG]

Of course we all think our chickens are nice and not naughty....until we find them with egg on their beak! I had (what turned out to be) and egg eater. Until I saw her true colors, I was mystified by the eggs I found with tinyholes/ cracks in them....then one day I went out to collect my prized egg and there she was eating it. I then realized those were beak sized holes..grrrrrrr.

That said, it didn't look like a crack to me, and mine were always cracked on the end for some reason. So maybe you're in luck and just have a wacko egg layer:confused:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by