Whats up with this Red Sex-Link chicks coloring!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happyhens44, Feb 1, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I have 4 Red sex link chicks, Mom and dad are both Red sex links. Well, 2 chicks are plain yellow, 1 is orange'ish tint And this one looks like this!!!

Chicks are 1 week and 3 days old.

Parents are hatchery.

(BY THE WAY the wings are feathered out only, and its all different colored!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    The downy fluff of the chick is very different from what color the grown chicken will be. In sex-links, chick color indicates gender. The yellow are most likely the males.

3. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    No because this is second generation. People said its only first generation That the females are orange'ish and males are yellow.... second could go either way

4. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    when you breed to red sexlink together they dont breed true. red sexlinks are hybreds. there production should be the same or better, but color will vary.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    In the second generation if your sexlinks are the ones where the hens are Red white White tails ( carrying dom White) And if they are bred together then the the pullets should be white tailed red columbian(like Sexlink hens, black tailed red columbian( like Production Red hens), black tailed silver columbian( like Light Sussex), and white tailed Silver columbian..which would be solid white ( like hatchery RIWhites) The roos would be the same but the white ones and would have some read coming through like the sexlink males do.

It looks like the chick you pictured is going to be the Black tailed Red Columbian color.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by